The Church of God claims that Christ Ahnsahnghong is Jesus who came a second time because He restored the Passover. However, the Worldwide Church of God, which was established by Herbert W. Armstrong in the late 1930s, keeps all the festivals of the Old Testament as well as the Passover. Therefore, if we follow the logic of the Church of God, Herbert W. Armstrong should be the Second Coming Jesus, not Ahnsahnghong.
2. How can a man, who believed the sunset theory, restore God’s feasts?
If Armstrong had truly restored God’s feasts, he must have known when the beginning of a day is. However, Armstrong did not go beyond the frame of common sense shared by the people of the world, but he held the sunset theory to be true and explained all the ceremonies of the Passover in the book of Exodus and the four books of the Gospel, on the basis of the sunset theory.
For example, Armstrong contended that Jesus kept the Passover on the night of the 14th?day of the first month, and died on the cross on the following afternoon of the 14th day. However, the Bible testifies that the time Jesus and His disciples prepared the Passover was during?the daytime of the 14th day. The specific time when the disciples talked with Jesus to prepare the Passover was the daytime before the sunset (Mt 26:20), and Matthew, Mark and Luke all testified that it was the time “to sacrifice the Passover lamb.”
- Mt 26:17 On the first day of the Feast of Unleavened Bread, the disciples came to Jesus and asked . . .
- Mk 14:12 On the first day of the Feast of Unleavened Bread, when it was customary to sacrifice the Passover lamb, Jesus’ disciples asked him . . .
- Lk 22:7 Then came the day of Unleavened Bread on which the Passover lamb had to be sacrificed.
Then when is the date to sacrifice the Passover lamb in the Bible? It is the 14th day of the first month.
- 2 Ch 35:1 . . . the Passover lamb was slaughtered on the fourteenth day of the first month.
Therefore, the time when the disciples prepared the Passover was the daytime of the 14th day. According to the sunset theory, the time should be the daytime on the 13th day, but the Bible testifies that it is the 14th day. So the daytime when Jesus died on the cross and which comes after the Passover is not the 14th day, but the 15th day. Therefore, the argument of Armstrong that Jesus was crucified in the afternoon of the 14th day according to the sunset theory is wrong against the testimony of the Bible. How could that kind of man restore God’s feasts?