The Church of God teaches that people can be saved from disasters by keeping the Passover. This teaching makes people fearful that disasters might come upon them if they leave the church. That’s why people cannot abandon the faith in this church.
1. The mission of prophets
In each age, prophets have given warning that God’s people will receive disaster and destruction if they do not keep the laws and regulations of God. We can see the examples of Moses, Joshua, Isaiah, Jeremiah, Ezekiel, etc. The prophet Jeremiah said that the prophets who preceded him had prophesied war, disaster and plague from early times (Jer 28:8).
If their claim is right, all the prophets sent by God became those who made a sensation of fear. Does it make sense? Therefore, those who claim that are ignorant without knowledge about the Bible, and they are those who insult the prophets sent by God.
2. The prophets who gave warnings about disasters
- Dt 28:15 However, if you do not obey the LORD your God and do not carefully follow all his commands and decrees I am giving you today, all these curses will come upon you and overtake you . . .
- Jos 24:19-20 Joshua said to the people, “You are not able to serve the LORD. He is a holy God; he is a jealous God. He will not forgive your rebellion and your sins. If you forsake the LORD and serve foreign gods, he will turn and bring disaster on you and make an end of you, after he has been good to you.”
- Isa 24:1-6 See, the LORD is going to lay waste the earth and devastate it; he will ruin its face and scatter its inhabitants . . . The earth will be completely laid waste and totally plundered. The LORD has spoken this word . . . The earth is defiled by its people; they have disobeyed the laws, violated the statutes and broken the everlasting covenant. Therefore a curse consumes the earth . . .
- Jer 11:3-11 “Tell them that this is what the LORD, the God of Israel, says: ‘Cursed is the man who does not obey the terms of this covenant . . . They have returned to the sins of their forefathers, who refused to listen to my words. They have followed other gods to serve them. Both the house of Israel and the house of Judah have broken the covenant I made with their forefathers. Therefore this is what the LORD says: ‘I will bring on them a disaster they cannot escape . . .’ ”
- Jer 16:10-11 “When you tell these people all this and they ask you, ‘Why has the LORD decreed such a great disaster against us? What wrong have we done? What sin have we committed against the LORD our God?’ then say to them, ‘It is because your fathers forsook me,’ declares the LORD, ‘and followed other gods and served and worshiped them. They forsook me and did not keep my law.’ ”
- Jer 44:22-23 “When the LORD could no longer endure your wicked actions and the detestable things you did, your land became an object of cursing and a desolate waste without inhabitants, as it is today. Because you have burned incense and have sinned against the LORD and have not obeyed him or followed his law or his decrees or his stipulations, this disaster has come upon you, as you now see.”
- Eze11:8-12 “You fear the sword, and the sword is what I will bring against you, declares the Sovereign LORD. I will drive you out of the city and hand you over to foreigners and inflict punishment on you. You will fall by the sword . . . for you have not followed my decrees or kept my laws but have conformed to the standards of the nations around you.”